Sign the Pledge if you drive
Do you drive? Then sign the Brake Pledge now to save lives and the planet.
I understand that road vehicles damage people and the planet. I am signing the pledge because:
- road crashes kill more than 1.2 million people globally every year, and are the biggest killer of young people
- carbon dioxide emissions from oil-fuelled road vehicles contribute significantly to global warming
- pollutants from oil-fuelled road vehicles contribute to more than 3 million deaths from respiratory diseases
I pledge to drive:
- I'll minimise the amount I drive or not drive at all.
- I'll get about by walking, cycling or public transport as much as I can, for road safety, the environment and my health.
- If changing my vehicle, I will look for a vehicle with the lowest emissions.
- When driving in communities, I will slow down to 20mph (30km/h) to protect people walking, cycling and on motorcycles.
- When driving between places, I will slow down, particularly when it’s harder to see ahead, in dangerous weather and at night.
- I will avoid passing other vehicles.
- I will never drive after drinking alcohol.
- I will never drive after taking drugs that can affect a driver's driving ability.
- I'll plan ahead to make sure I, and anyone I'm with, can get home safely and I'll never get a lift with drink/drug drivers.
- I'll speak out if someone's about to drive on drink or drugs.
- In a car, I, and my passengers, will wear seat belts. I will only carry children in a child seat appropriate for their size and weight.
- On a motorcycle, I, and my passengers, will wear helmets.
- If changing my vehicle, I will look for one with safety features that prevent crashes and provide protection in a crash for me, my passengers, and people on foot, bicycles and motorcycles.
- I will never take or make calls, or use a phone for any other reason, when driving.
- I will turn off my phone or put it out of sight and on silent.
- I will get my eyes tested every two years and wear glasses or lenses at the wheel if I need them.
- I'll never drive if I'm so tired I could fall asleep at the wheel. On long journeys, I will take regular breaks.